Brussels Sprouts with Lemon, Garlic & Toasted Bread Crumbs
If you know someone who doesn't like brussels sprouts, try this recipe on them. There is something about the acid from the lemon and the crunch from the bread crumbs that presents these delicious little cruciferous vegetables in a whole new light. The vegan butter is optional, but the butter might lessen the cabbagy flavor for kids. Now, can I get on my brussels sprouts bandwagon? Brussels sprouts, hands down, are one of the most healthful foods you can eat. They are relatively high in protein at 3 grams per serving and low in calories. They are high in fiber which keeps you full faster, longer, and packed with vitamins A & C. Vitamin A and C are excellent for healthy vision and bone health. I recommend trying to eat brussels sprouts on a regular basis if possible. Many recipes call for cooking them in oil but I don't think it's necessary for flavor. Today I did a light steam with chopped garlic, hit it with some lemon juice and toasted breadcrumbs. It was perfection. Hope you enjoy this delicious, healthy, brussels sprouts recipe as much as I did. Here is another Brussels sprouts & tofu recipe you might like. Don't miss any of Ordinary Vegan's recipes by subscribing here free. Also, please join or community on Facebook. It is fun and full of wonderful, compassionate people like you.
- 1½- 2 lbs brussels sprouts, washed thoroughly, ends cut off, remove bruised leaves and quarter
- ½ cup vegetable broth (or more) you can also use water
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup or more toasted vegan bread crumbs*
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan butter (optional)
- Heat ½ cup vegetable broth in a saute pan. Add the brussels sprouts. Cover and steam for 3-4 minutes, checking often for a quick stir and to make sure you don't need more liquid.
- Add chopped garlic, salt, pepper and butter if using. Steam for another 2-5 minutes or until soft but still have a little bite.
- Toss with lemon juice and toasted bread crumbs. Serve.
- *To make bread crumbs - process 2 slices of vegan bread in a food processor until you have crumbs. Toast in a 400 F oven for 5-10 minutes, checking often, until toasted.