Dairy Free Diet Caramel Latte
For the past few months I have been blogging about the environmental and health benefits of following a dairy free diet. Many of you mentioned that you would miss milk drinks, so with the help of Silk, I made it my mission to come up with some delicious alternatives.
The first non-dairy drink I prepared is essentially a caramel brûlée latte. You know like the one that a certain popular Seattle coffee shop sells for $3.75. Mine tastes very similar but without all the fat and calories. Where is why.
I used a caramel almond and cashew non-dairy milk called Nutchello which is only 70 calories per serving, 9 grams of sugar, and no cholesterol or saturated fat. I topped it with a coconut whipped cream that is an Ordinary Vegan community favorite. Then I gave it a drizzle of caramel on top which is optional because the non-dairy milk itself has a delicious rich caramel flavor.
The next thing I prepared was a simple, refreshing iced coffee. I don't know about you, but I'm a Boston girl, and we love our iced coffee in the morning. All you have to do is fill a tall glass with ice cubes and pour the coffee over it with a big splash of non-dairy milk. I loved using the dark chocolate walnut Nutchello in this preparation.
Dairy Free Diet Ice Coffee with Dark Chocolate and Walnut Non-Dairy Milk
Sometimes on a hot summer night, we would make our ice coffee into frappes which is another Boston favorite. All you do is pour about a cup of freshly brewed coffee into a blender, add crushed ice and 1/2 cup of more of coconut almond Nutchello. Blend for about 10 seconds.
The nice thing about using a flavored non-dairy milk like Nutchello is that you don't have to add any added sugar or extra flavor. It is all in the milk.
Dairy-Free Diet Smoothie with Spinach, Dates, Bananas & Rich Dark Chocolate & Walnut Nuchello
My last dairy free diet drink is a simple smoothie with spinach, dates, bananas and any flavor of Nutchello milk you like. I'm a dark-chocolate girl, so I stuck with Nutchello's rich dark chocolate and walnut non-dairy milk. It was delicious and it's a clever way to get your children to eat their fruits and vegetables.
Hope you enjoy one of these dairy free diet beverage ideas the next time you're craving a dairy drink.
Please note, this is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions, food photos and text are all mine. And yes, I do love this non-dairy beverage Nutchello.
- 8 ounces of Caramel almond Nutchello
- 1 shot of espresso
- 2 tablespoons of whipped topping
- 1 teaspoon of caramel sauce
- Add the caramel almond milk to a small saucepan. Heat until hot.
- Pour into a coffee mug. Add the espresso shot.
- Top with whipped topping and a drizzle of caramel sauce. (optional)
- 8 ounces of Dark Chocolate Nutchello non-dairy milk
- 1 large handful of spinach
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1 banana sliced
- 2-3 dates, pitted and sliced
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- ¼ cup vegan sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ⅛ cup of Silk almond creamer or any heavy non-dairy creamer
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- tiny pinch of salt
- Add the sugar and water to a medium, heavy saucepan. Place over medium high heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until a deep amber color is reached. Watch very carefully so it doesn't burn. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Turn off burner and remove from heat and slowly stir in the cream.
- Add the bourbon. Add the pinch of salt.
- Let cool Store covered in the refrigerator. You can microwave for 30 seconds before using or warm up in a small pot.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.