I don't indulge in processed foods very often but today I made this cheesy roasted cauliflower and it was very yummy!
I choose Daiya cheese for this recipe but now there are so many vegan cheese choices. Many of them are nut based like Kite Hill and Parmela. Even when cheese is made out of nuts, I always recommend keeping those healthy fats to about 10% of your calories.
Today was an indulgence and sometimes you have to give in to them. Hope you enjoy this cheesy roasted cauliflower as much as I did. Don't miss any of Ordinary Vegan's free recipes by signing up here.
**Make sure you don't let the cauliflower touch when it is roasting otherwise it will steam instead of roast.
- 1 head of cauliflower (florets, cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, plus zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance butter (or other vegan butter)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp dried mustard
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ cup Daiya dairy free cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Place cut cauliflower in a large bowl. Add lemon zest and juice. add oil, red chili flakes, sea salt & pepper. Toss evenly to coat.
- Spread cauliflower on a greased baking sheet and roast about 20-25 minutes, stirring once, until golden (keep checking so you don't burn them)
- Heat a medium size sauce pan and add the vegan butter. Let melt. Whisk in flour and create a roux (paste).
- Add almond milk, and whisk. Add mustard, garlic powder, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Cook for about 5 minutes or less or until creamy and thick.
- Add vegan cheese and stir to melt - about 1 minute. When serving, drizzle cauliflower with sauce and serve warm.