Here is a bargain meal of brown rice and beans with ginger lime chile salsa that is high in protein and delicious.
You can have this with or without the salsa but it really livens it up.
I also enjoy this dish with a ginger, sesame, garlic and soy dressing. However you eat it, have fun and make it your own.
Added bonus – low in calories and no unhealthy fat. Hope you enjoy this easy vegan recipe as much as I did.
If you don't want to miss a recipe from Ordinary Vegan – sign up for all our free recipes here.
Brown Rice and Beans with Ginger Lime Chile Salsa
- ¼ cup of vegetable broth for sautéing plus another ¼ cup for sautéing
- 1 medium onion, chopped, divided
- 1 cup of brown rice
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed (or freshly made)
- 1 cup low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 2 red Jalapeños or Fresno chiles, stemmed, halved and seeded
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp. chopped peeled ginger
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated lime zest
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, chopped
- ½ cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
- Heat the vegetable broth in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add ¼ of chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and stir to coat.
- Add 2 cups water.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is just tender. Keep a careful eye on that so it doesn't stick to the pan.
- Remove rice from heat. Let stand, covered for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and fold in ¼ cup cilantro: season with salt and pepper.
- While rice is cooking, heat remaining ¼ cup of vegetable broth in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add ⅔ of remaining onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add more vegetable broth if sticking.
- Add coriander and cumin; stir 1 minute.
- Add beans and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.Taste and season with a little salt and pepper if needed.
- Pulse chiles, garlic, ginger, lime zest, lime juice, remaining onion and maple syrup in a blender until a chunky sauce forms. Taste and adjust seasoning maybe adding a pinch of salt.
- Serve rice with beans: top with salsa, avocado, tomatoes, ¼ cup cilantro and lime wedges.