Beans are a vegan's best friend.
They are extraordinarily healthy, super versatile and affordable. They are high in protein, fiber, iron, antioxidants and B vitamins. Eating beans every day will reduce your risk of contacting many chronic diseases.
They are also naturally low in fat and calories. In other words, there is absolutely no downside to consuming beans.
Today I made the most delicious white bean salad with red onion, celery, tomatoes, basil on a lemony bed of mashed avocado. Rustic, healthy, satiating and delicious are a few words I would use to describe it.
When you consume meals like this, you want to run a marathon after and that makes most people very happy. Hope you enjoy this white bean salad as much as I did. . If you enjoy this white bean salad, you may also enjoy this white bean dip.
Don't miss any of Ordinary Vegan's recipes by signing up here..
Join our health and wellness community on Facebook. There are over 315,000 strong, vibrant community members waiting to embrace you.
Thanks for stopping by and hope you have a peaceful and compassionate day.
- 1 carton of white beans (13-15 ounces), rinsed (or fresh)
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 Lemon halved
- 1 avocado, roughly mashed, pit removed
- 1 or 2 tomatoes, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Juice half the lemon and add to avocado and roughly mash.
- Combine white beans, onion, basil, garlic, celery, olive oil and juice of the other half of the lemon. Salt and pepper to taste. Add more lemon juice if needed.
- Spread the avocado mixture on a plate.
- Slice tomatoes and layer over avocado. Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Layer bean mixture over the top and drizzle with a little olive oil if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.