What if you could add five healthy foods to your plate and make an improvement in your health and longevity?
Today's podcast explores what ingredients can play a role in; controlling blood pressure, improving cholesterol levels, regulating blood sugar and boosting energy.
We also provide easy tips and recipes on including these extraordinary ingredients into your diet.
Simple and fun ways to spice up your health.
This week's podcast recipe is a delicious, easy to prepare authentic Indian cuisine recipe called “Chole” from chef Rema Gopinath's kitchen.
There are many different versions of this dish but today's recipe is the perfect blend of chickpeas cooked in a gravy made of tomatoes, onions, cilantro and Indian spices. I like to serve it over rice with fresh lemon wedges.
Hope you enjoy today's recipe and podcast. Never forget, every plant-based meal you prepare shows compassion for yourself, the environment and animals. And it is never too late to take back your health!
Sign up to receive all of Ordinary Vegan's free recipes and inspiration. Here is this week's podcast recipe!
ORDINARY FOODS WITH EXTRAORDINARY BENEFITS
today's podcast recipe – Chole
- 1 15-ounce box of cooked garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, cut into big pieces
- 1½ inches of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoonful cumin seeds
- ½ typhoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoonful. Coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoonful Garam masala
- 1 teaspoonful cumin powder
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- one tablespoon Chopped cilantro.
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Lemon juice
- Put onions and ginger in a food processor and grind to a paste.
- In a medium saucepan, Heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds .
- When they start spluttering add the onion and ginger paste.
- Stir the onion/ginger paste mixture and cook until the paste turns light brown. Don't let it burn.
- Add the turmeric , cumin powder, coriander powder, cayenne and salt. Keep on stirring for about 2 minutes until it is well blended. Add the salt and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down an let simmer for 10 minutes. Add garbanzo beans and cook for another 10 minutes stirring often.
- Add the Garam masala and cook for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Season with the cilantro and lemon juice. Stir and serve over rice.
4 thoughts on “Podcast #14: Ordinary Foods with Extraordinary Health Benefits”
I think there is a synergistic effect where you should add ground black pepper to any turmeric that you use in dishes in order to activate the curcumin making it available
Thanks for the heads up Craig! I didn’t know that but it makes sense to me. Nancy
Good podcast! I started listening all of the 2019 podcast in 2021 and up current with all 2020. I have learned so much in the last 3 weeks; thank you for a concise, and well written format. You have the perfect voice to command the licensing attention. The only minor constructive feedback is that I whish everyone stop calling plant base eating a “diet”, I think it de-value the importance of adopting a heather life style; beside that I am grateful for your dedication to leaving a better life.
Keep on rolling!
Hello and happy new year. Thank you so much for your kind words and for listening. I really appreciate it. And yes I agree. I should say lifestyle not diet and I will do my best in 2021 to change the language because of your inspiration. Stay safe and well!