Vegan Whipped Cream with Coconut Milk
Thanks for your patience for this vegan whipped cream recipe. Ever since I posted my easy scones topped with a delicious vegan whipped cream, you have said: “where the heck is the vegan whipped cream recipe?” At the time, I used a store bought brand that I thought was pretty good and it only contained a few ingredients. But never again.
This recipe is so easy, and I can't even put into words how decadent and delicious it tastes. At any rate, sorry for the wait. Here is how I made it.
I bought a 13-ounce can of unsweetened coconut milk. Very important note. Make sure it is full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk and doesn't contain guar gum. For some reason guar gum coconut milk doesn't whip as well.
That information must be getting around because I bought a brand that was labeled no guar gum made by a company called Natural Value. It was also labeled 17-19% milk fat, unsweetened, GMO-free, organic and no BPA in the can. What more could a healthy, plant-based girl ask for?
Natural Value Coconut Milk
So all I did was refrigerate the can of coconut milk overnight. I also placed the metal mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer approximately an hour before making the vegan whipped cream. I find that you get a better whip when your bowl and beaters are cold.
Then remove the can from the refrigerator and open the can of milk without shaking it. Scoop out the coconut cream solids into the cold mixing bowl and no liquid. You can save the coconut liquid for a smoothie, overnight oats or chia pudding.
Beat the coconut cream using an electric mixer with the chilled beaters on high until stiff peaks form. Add about three teaspoons of vegan sugar or maple syrup and one teaspoon of vanilla extract. Beat another minute. Taste and add more sweetener if needed. Mine was perfect.
Now, try not to gobble the whole thing up.
Hope you enjoy this vegan whipped cream with coconut milk as much as I did. Don't miss any of Ordinary Vegan's free recipes by signing up here. To learn more about a vegan diet, listen to Ordinary Vegan's podcasts which are available on iTunes, or you can listen to them right here on this website. No special equipment needed.
Always remember, it's never too late to change to a plant-based diet for a long and healthy life.
- 1 13-14 ounce can unsweetened, full fat coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons of vegan sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Refrigerate the can of coconut milk overnight.
- Place a large metal bowl and electric beaters from your hand mixer in the freezer for one hour before preparing the whipped cream.
- Open the cold can of coconut milk without shaking it. Remove the coconut cream solids only into the cold mixing bowl avoiding any of the liquid.
- * You can save the liquid for smoothies, puddings or overnight oats*
- Using an electric mixer with the chilled beaters, beat the coconut cream on a high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar and vanilla and beat another minute.
- Taste and add more sweetener if needed.
- This whipped cream will stay fresh for approximately one week in a sealed container in the refrigerator.