We have a wonderful farmer's market here in town on Fridays, so it was the perfect day to assemble this fresh and delicious vegan nicoise salad. The great thing about this salad is that you can add any vegetables that your prefer like artichoke hearts, green beans, carrots, broccoli etc. Just make sure when you cook them, you keep them crisp.
If you don't like tarragon, leave it out and add spices to the vinaigrette that you love. Hope you enjoy this versatile, healthy, vegan nicoise salad as much as I did.
Oh by the way, Mercury goes direct on Friday at 6:00am EST making it the quintessential day for new beginnings. So, if you have been thinking of going vegan full or part-time, this is the ideal date for making that commitment and we are always here to help.
A plant-based diet is a healthy and delicious existence, and not as hard as you think. I recommend taking it one day at a time. When in doubt, follow the vegan food pyramid. Wishing you a peaceful and compassionate day!
Vegan Nicoise Salad with Crispy Tofu & Mustard Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ½ cup water
- 8 ounces of extra-firm organic tofu, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 4 purple potatoes or any variety of fingerlings
- 16 asparagus spears
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 4 cups mixed greens
- ¼ cup pitted olives
- 1 cup of snow peas (or green beans)
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- ½ teaspoon of fresh chopped thyme
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- Combine the water, vinegar, shallot, olive oil, mustard, maple syrup, salt and black pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth. Remove and add tarragon, thyme and parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the garlic, tarragon, thyme, apple cider vinegar and apple juice. Slice the tofu into ½ inch slices and add to bowl. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- Heat the teaspoon of oil in a medium non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add the marinated tofu and sear for 3-5 minutes on each side until crisp and golden brown. Set aside.
- Put the potatoes in a medium-size pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately 15 minutes of until fork-tender but still firm.
- Remove from heat, drain and cool. Peel and slice the cooked potatoes into rounds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Trim the asparagus removing woody ends. Cut into thirds and place in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover with lid and let steam for approximately 3 minutes being very careful not to overcook. Remove from basket and set aside.
- Place snow peas into the same basket over boiling water. Cover with lid and let steam for approximately 1 minute just enough time for them to turn a bright green and still have snap to them.
- Place equal portions of mixed greens onto plates. Top with equal amounts of crispy tofu. Arrange the potatoes, tomatoes, asparagus, cucumbers, snow peas and olives around plate. Sprinkle with thyme and parsley. Drizzle each salad with the mustard vinaigrette.