Vegan Snack Attack – Roasted Carrots & Chickpeas with Oil-Free Dill Dressing and Pita Croutons
Seriously! How many ways can you say yum?
This vegan snack is hands down one of the most delicious and nutritious meals you can eat.
The best news about this vegan snack is that everything goes on one baking sheet into the oven. It is also packed with fiber so one small nutritious plate of this will keep you full a long time.
Another thing I like, it's packed with protein from the chickpeas.
The carrots give us our beta-carotene, fiber, potassium, zinc, folate, Vitamin K, Vitamin E and magnesium. According to the World's Healthiest Foods, a carrot a day can actually reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. This recipe couldn't be any healthier.
So I hope you enjoy this vegan snack as much as I did. This also makes an excellent lunch or side dish. If you don't want to miss any of Ordinary Vegan's free recipes, sign up here.
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1½ inch matchsticks
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas from carton or cooked fresh
- 1 teaspoon paprika (or ½ tsp cayenne if you want heat)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ pita round, cut into strips (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of dried or fresh dill
- Salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Clean and peel carrots. Place on parchment paper.
- Toss chickpeas and carrots with lemon juice mixture. Place on parchment paper.
- Cut pita bread into strips and place on parchment paper.
- Bake in oven 5-10 minutes until pita bread is crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Continue baking in oven for approximately 20 minutes or until carrots are tender crisp and lightly brown and the chickpeas are crunchy. You may remove the chickpeas before the carrots if they are getting too brown
- Meanwhile, whisk together all the dressing ingredients. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- While still warm, put the carrots and chickpeas into a medium bowl. Toss with dressing. Add croutons and toss again. Pile onto plates. Garnish with fresh dill if using.