Vegan Apple Spice Muffins with No Added Oil
I have never been on a cruise before and have no idea what to expect. There will be lectures from some of my favorite plant-based gurus including Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. T Colin Campbell and Dr. Neal Barnard.
All of these doctors are leading the charge to make America well again with nutrition. To learn more about these pioneers, visit the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. The website provides all the information you will need to discover why and how a plant-based diet can change your life.
I would also like to give a shootout to the brainchild behind this event.
His name is Sandy Pukel and he has been famous in the natural wellness world for his entire life. His first claim to fame was one of the flower children who was interviewed, naked, in the film classic Woodstock. Sandy's passion for health and wellness inspired him to launch A Taste of Health, a fun- filled cruise vacation with gourmet vegan fare and nutrition education.
In 5 years, the cruise has grown 100%. Thanks to Sandy and his entire team for inviting me on this trip and I look forward to meeting everyone on this fun-filled adventure. I will keep you updated and perhaps you can join us next year.
Now on to food.
Made a batch of these healthy apple spice muffins before I left. I love replacing the oil with applesauce and wish I had known that trick years ago. You can also use a gluten-free flour. At any rate, hope you enjoy these vegan apple spice muffins as much as I did.
Don't miss any of Ordinary Vegan's plant-based recipes by subscribing here. Bon Voyage!
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats (I like Bobs Red Mill gluten-free scottish oatmeal because it is finer than regular oats)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and diced(about 1½ cups)
- 6 teaspoons of flax egg (whisk 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed with 5 tablespoons of water - refrigerate for 10 minutes to thicken)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup non-flavored, non-dairy milk (almond or soy)
- ¾ cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or use muffin liners.
- Combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the applesauce, flax eggs, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, diced apple and raisins if using. Stir gently until all the flour is incorporated into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups filling them ⅔ full.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.