Are you tired of the same old song and dance for dinner? Try these vegan stuffed cabbage rolls and shake things up.
For many people, the idea of cooked cabbage is not exactly appealing. But, I am here to tell you that this dish is exceptionally flavorful and comforting.
The trick is you stuff parboiled cabbage leaves with a flavorful rice mixture and lay them over a thick layer of tomato sauce. Then let it cook in the oven, braising the cabbage, so it breaks down, becomes soft, and takes on a sweet taste.
Additionally, these vegan stuffed cabbage rolls aren't difficult to prepare. Cook some brown rice and saute with some shallots and celery. Add some chopped walnuts for crunch and fresh herbs. Any herbs could work with this. Fortunately, I had some fresh mint and basil on hand. If I had some parsley, I would have thrown that in also.
Furthermore, the tomato sauce with brown sugar adds a sweet, tangy punch. If you are sugar-free, you can omit it, but cabbage rolls are traditionally baked in a sweet sauce.
Also, if you know me, you know how often I recommend cruciferous vegetables. Here are some reasons why.
Cruciferous vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals such as folate and vitamin K. They are also rich in phytonutrients. Cabbage is also packed with Vitamin C, which is the most essential vitamin to consume during virus season.
Hope you enjoy these vegan stuffed cabbage rolls as much as we did. Other cabbage recipes include my popular Chickpea Cabbage Soup with Tomatoes and Basil, Creamy Cabbage Polenta and Roasted Cabbage with Lemon Yogurt Dressing.
If you love this recipe, please consider rating it using stars in the comments. It helps readers and helps more people find the recipe online. And I love hearing from you.
Please follow me on Instagram and Facebook.
You can sign up here so you don't miss a recipe, and you can find my vegan, organically grown CBD products here.
Don't forget to order my new book, “The Easy 5-Ingredient Vegan Cookbook” available now on Amazon.
Vegan Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 2½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 large cabbage, core removed
- ⅓ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil
- ¼ cup fresh chopped mint
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- paprika for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Carefully peel 12 large leaves from cabbage.
- Blanch leaves in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove immediately and spread out on towels so they dry.
- In a large saute pan, heat ⅓ cup of vegetable broth. Saute the shallots and celery until soft and translucent about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and walnuts and saute a minute more. Add the salt and fresh ground black pepper. Add the cooked rice to the saute pan and combine. Add the fresh herbs. Turn off the heat. Taste for seasonings.
- Combine 3 cups of crushed tomatoes with brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Making sure the sugar is dissolved. Add two cups of sauce to the bottom of a 9 by 9 baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lay your cabbage leaf on a cutting board. Form some of the filling mixture, about ¼ to ⅓ cup on to the leaf. Wrap the cabbage leave around it making a little package so the filling can't fall out. Pin at the top with a toothpick. Add it to the baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining leaves and mixture.
- Spoon over some of the leftover tomato sauce. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with a little paprika if desired.
4 thoughts on “Vegan Stuffed Cabbage Rolls with Brown Rice and Nuts”
What did you use to tie the leaves?
The green part of scallions (green onions). Hope that helps. Thanks for stopping by!
This looks and sounds totally delicious, can’t wait to try it. Thank you!
Thank you Rosalee – Happy holidays!