This rich, creamy and tangy vegan chickpea salad sandwich will satiate any palette. Loaded with healthy ingredients and high in protein.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a versatile legume that blends well into a variety of dishes. In today's vegan chickpea salad sandwich, I processed the chickpeas into a smoother texture, but still maintaining some chunkiness.
The Caesar dressing is a luscious combination of cashews, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and some liquid from a can of artichokes to add a brine element. Make sure your artichokes are in water brine and not oil brine for this recipe.
I also liked the idea of using tortillas for the vegan chickpea salad sandwich instead of bread. Tortillas are great because they freeze well and don't take long to thaw.
You could also place this yummy mixture on top of some greens for a fresh, new, salad idea.
If you love chickpeas as much as I do, I know you will enjoy a few of Ordinary Vegan's most popular recipes like my Moroccan Vegan Stew with Chickpeas, Sweet Potatoes, Spinach & Raisins, Vegan Meatloaf with Chickpeas & Tomato Maple Glaze and my Chickpea Stew with Yams, Spinach, Lemon, Mint Leaves & Red Pepper Puree.
Thanks for joining me today and I hope you enjoy today's plant-based recipe.
Are you going to try this recipe? Please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #ordinaryvegan on Instagram.
Don’t miss any of Ordinary Vegan’s FREE recipes by signing up here.
Join our health and wellness community on Facebook. There are over 315,000 strong, vibrant community members waiting to embrace you.
Many people in the wellness world are turning to cannabidiol, commonly referred to as CBD oil, for its powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-anxiety effects. You can now purchase safe and effective vegan CBD Oil on Ordinary Vegan. Link here.
I believe CBD oil can help many people living with anxiety disorders or chronic pain and my mission is to provide you with the highest quality CBD oil from hemp on the market. My number one goal is to keep you as healthy and as happy as possible. Learn more about how CBD Oil from Hemp can help you.
Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich with Caesar Dressing Recipe
- ¾ cup cashew nuts (preferably soaked over night in cold water or 10 minutes in boiling water)
- ¼ cup artichoke brine from a can (water not oil)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons water (or more if needed)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can of cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 large tortillas
- Red or yellow peppers cut into matchsticks
- Carrots, cut into matchsticks
- Bean sprouts
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth adding more water if necessary. It should have a mayonnaise or thicker consistency. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Remove from food processor.
- In the same food processor (doesn't have to be washed) - Add the chickpeas and give them a few pulses to mash them.
- Put the chickpeas mixture in a medium bowl and begin adding some of the dressing tasting as you go. You will probably have leftover dressing which you can use on a salad or some fresh sliced tomatoes. You don't want to overdress the chickpeas.
- Divide the chickpea mixture between the tortillas. Top with carrots, peppers and sprouts. Roll up and serve.